The Accordion Connection

Simone says there's a popular indie rock band called the "Accordion Connection, you know, that one with all the guys on stage at once, and one of them has a drum? You know who I mean". Anyway, this is an unrelated blog of bitchin' YouTube videos.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Get the Rhythm of the Hot Dog.

As per Mary's request, here's the video of the girls doing the clapping game of "down down baby." This is also one of the videos from Sesame Street that made a huge impression on me when I was little. I haven't seen this video in probably 15 years, but watching it was a total deja-vu psychedelic freakout, man. I remember the girls, particularly the little one, and their clothes, and their braided hair, and those hair elastics with the big shiny plastic balls on them. I used to play this game on the schoolyard. I loved, loved, loved clapping games, and I think a big part of why I thought they were so cool was because of this video. Also: I am having deep feminist thoughts about girl culture and visibility and the fact that this was on tv when I was little really validated a part of my experience as a girl.

WATCH IT:

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, November 18, 2009, Blogger M said...

yaaaay! i was also thinking recently about girl's clapping games and how they are interesting and how this video presents them as interesting and valid and worth paying attention to. this one is so well done!

it's so cool that games like this are passed on from generations- i loved doing the "hooooot dog!" part as a kid. i love how they pronounce it "rollah coasta!"

thanks for posting it! i also want to see the one with the mom helping the eskimo girl getting dressed and when the one where a grandma and granddaughter make chocolate chip cookies for the grandma's friends.

 
At 2:45 PM, November 18, 2009, Blogger M said...

oh yeah, the elastic balls (and beads!) those used to be sooo popular! i also remember the little one.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home