The Accordion Connection

Simone says there's a popular indie rock band called the "Accordion Connection, you know, that one with all the guys on stage at once, and one of them has a drum? You know who I mean". Anyway, this is an unrelated blog of bitchin' YouTube videos.

Monday, November 09, 2009

Sesame Street, oh man, the nostalgia is at defcon-1 levels.

So I'm pretty sure that everyone is aware that it's Sesame Street's 40th anniversary this year. I mean, google has their "google" all tricked out with different characters each day and there was something about it in NY magazine... Anyhoo, blah blah blah, it was revolutionary, all that crap, etc.

WHATEVER. Read somewhere else if you want a nuanced critique or a gossipy history of the show. I just want to sit here and watch my favorite videos, which I seriously have not seen since I was a child, but felt compelled to look up because of all the hoopla about the 40th anniversary.

FIRST UP: The "yip-yip martians." I LOOOOOOVED these guys, especially this skit where they discover a radio for the first time:


Those martians really made a big impression on me as a child. I thought they were the BEST, and I think might be one of the reasons why I am so drawn to cephalopods now.

Next up: The Oinker Sisters, performing "A New Way to Walk." This really blew my mind as a kid. First of all, it was always odd to me that they weren't wearing pants. Also, they look like cyndi lauper. I definitely remember thinking that the Oinker Sisters were really glamorous and fancy. And also: "Deutsch Hamaphone Records"? HILARIOUS.


Oh god, and do you remember this one?

That really freaked me out when I was little. That U was gonna strangle that guy (who I now know is Smokey Robinson)! Augh!

And here's one that really, really made a huge impression on me: the playground building one. Holy crap, I haven't seen this in like 20 years. But I remember that music, and watching those kids paint the monsters for the haunted house... god, I was so fucking into this little report or whatever you want to call it. I guess I've always enjoyed hammers and paint and building things!


Well, that's it for now, folks. This post was brought to you by the letters S, L, and M and the number 15.

(That's what I was always hoping they would say at the end of each episode - my initials and my day of birth!)

(Seriously, there are about 10 zillion old Sesame Street videos online if you want to take a trip down memory lane!)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, November 10, 2009, Blogger Em said...

Yes! I blogged about the Smokey clip a while back: http://blurgrrl13.blogspot.com/2009/03/smokey-and-sesame-street.html

So classic! And you know Destiny's Child did a remake of "I got a new way to walk", right?

Sesame. So many faves I can't even start!

P.S. Long overdue letter coming your way...

 
At 2:57 PM, November 13, 2009, Blogger M said...

i also really want to see the one with the girls doing the hand-claps of "down down baby." sesame street was so good.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home